1/2 cup (70 g) superfine brown rice flour, plus more for dusting
1/2 cup (70 g) oat flour (certified gluten-free preferably for those who are gluten sensitive)
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon (40 g) tapioca starch or cornstarch
4 teaspoons natural cane sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 stick (8 tablespoons or 110 g) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 egg yolk
3 to 5 tablespoons ice water
- Combine the first five ingredients in a food processor. Pulse once or twice to combine. Add the diced butter and pulse until you end up with small pieces of butter that are visible throughout the flour.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg yolk and 3 tablespoons ice water. Add it to the dough and pulse until it comes together. Add up to 2 more tablespoons ice water, if needed. Turn the dough onto a work surface, knead it a couple of times, and form a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap, flatten it, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Dust your work surface with a bit of superfine brown rice flour and roll to about 1/8-inch thick.
- Transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and prepare the fruit filling. If it’s warm in your kitchen, transfer the dough into the refrigerator so it does not soften too much.
3 crisp apples, cored and thinly sliced
2 tablespoons sugar, plus more for sprinkling
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and seeds scraped
2 tablespoons almond flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 425F. Toss together the first seven ingredients and let them sit for 10 minutes until sugar starts to dissolve. Lay the filling on top of the rolled pastry leaving 2 inches around the edges. Fold over the pastry edges over the filling. Don’t be afraid if dough cracks. Simply pinch it back together. It’s supposed to be rustic.
- Brush the edges of the pastry with the egg and sprinkle the whole thing with sugar. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes until golden and filling bubbling. Let the galette cool for 15 minutes before cutting.
Recipe courtesy of Aran Goyoaga