Serves 4 to 6
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, peeled and diced
1 medium fennel bulb, cut in half, cored removed and thinly sliced
3 celery stalks, sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1 (15-ounce) can white beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups chard, chopped
2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Juice of 1 lemon
1 pound clams
1/4 cup white wine
- Heat a cast iron pan over medium heat. Add the first six ingredients and cook for 5 minutes until vegetables are tender but not brown.
- Add the white beans, chard, chicken stock, salt and black pepper. Bring the liquid to a simmer, cover the pot and cook for 15 minutes until all tender. Remove from heat, add the lemon juice and stir.
- Combine the clams and white wine in a small pot. Cover with a lid and cook on high heat until the clams open. Add the clams with the juice into the soup pot and stir.
- Serve the soup hot topped with pesto.
For the pesto
2 tablespoons unsalted and shelled pistachios, finely chopped
1 cup cilantro, finely chopped
1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan
1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
1/4 cup olive oil
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix to form a paste.
Recipe courtesy of Aran Goyoaga